This group, formaly known as BristolFND, was set up by a group of indivduals who all met whilst being treated for FND (see below for individual stories). We consist of both patients and carers, and so have a good feel for what life with FND can be like. We originally decided to create a support group for those in the Bristol area of the UK, to meet a need that we perceived was required. The support group is growing, particularly on Facebook, but we have since concluded that there is a greater need than just for online support and monthly social events. We are in the process of applying for charity status, which will allow us to fulfil more of our aspirations. These are (in no particular order):
- to be able to befriend those socially and physically isolated by the disorder.
- to reach out to those who are newly diagnosed.
- to work with local NHS trusts, to educate and train healthcare workers about FND and the impact it can have on someone’s life
- to increase awareness of the disorder across the Southwest of the UK.
- to show individuals what is available to them once they have been given the diagnosis of FND.
If you have a question, or know of something that we have missed out, please get in touch! In particular, we would like to create a list of the opportunities for people in each of the counties within the Southwest, so please let us know if there is something we have missed.